Monday, March 29, 2010

Collage Reflection - The Lost boys of Sudan



My collage reflects the journey of the Lost boys. It shows the pain and devastation they felt, but also the happiness, and love for their country and their future. Below are some of the SLR's that I have used in my collage about the Lost Boys of Sudan.

Think Creatively

One of the parts in my collage that I thought I had thought creatively in was the centerpiece. In the center there is a hand drawn fire, above which are 4 doves flying out of. I thought this was creative because through symbolism I have created a deep meaning. The fire represents the destruction the Lost boys have faced. But the doves flying out, represent that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. They show that through everything that has happened to them, hope and peace will come and save them. I have also made the biggest dove stand out more by pasting it on cardboard. This helps me emphasize the importance of peace with the Lost boys. I also have it flying off the page which means freedom of the Lost boys.

Another part of my collage that I thought was quite creative was how I showed my 6 word memoir. I included quite a lot of small pieces of paper with words on it in my collage, and I didn't want my memoir to get lost in all of it, so to solve this I put it on cardboard which made it pop out. This way it was obvious what the main message was that I was trying to get across, and the viewers could easily tell that these words were somewhat important to the journey of the Lost boys.

Reason Critically

I used the images and text to highlight my understanding of the Lost boys plight by carefully picking images and words that I thought was extremely important. I made sure that I understood the message behind every picture so I could fully decide whether or not it applied to the Lost boys. An example of this is on the left had side. There is a woman carrying a rifle with a child on her back. I chose this image carefully to show how the Dinka tribe had to be so aware of everything happening around them, that they had to carry guns in order to protect themselves and their families. I also chose short words and phrases that highlighted what was happening, and how the Lost boys felt. I chose to use small words because then it creates more meaning and importance to the viewers. I wanted to include not only images of the war in the boys home, Sudan, but also the challenges and achievements they faced in their whole journey, including Ethiopia, Kenya, and America.

Communicate Effectively

My collage effectively communicates the Lost boys plight because I made sure their journey was in order so the viewers had an easy time telling what happened along the way. It starts at the top left, where Sudan was a country of peace, and as it works its way down, war is introduced and devastation is evident through the images and the words. As it moves to the right I effectively show how the boys entered Ethiopia, and sought refuge in Kenya. On the right bottom side it shows the challenges and the daily life of the boys in America, but as it moves upward it begins to show hope and how the boys are working together in order to help themselves.

Live Ethically

My collage provoked empathy in the viewer because I showed images that are hard to look at because of their sadness and emotion. Through my images and my text I want the viewers to be aware about how horrible the Lost boys situation is. However, I don't want the viewers to think the boys are a lost cause so they shouldn't help because it's too late. Instead, I included images of hope and how people could help through denotations etc. This shows the people reading my collage that there are ways to help, and that the Lost boys DO need your help.

Through the SLR's I have created a collage that shows what the Lost boys journey has been all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment